down by the bay


I spent most of my tenth summer in the watermelon grove of Mr McNealy's farm. The farm was on a south facing hill in a small cove that sheltered it from the storms that frequently rocked the rest of the shoreline. The space was both open and secluded at the same time and perhaps it was this paradoxical bridging of opposites that appealed to me. Mr McNealy himself was not encouraging of my presence but nor did he chase me off like he did to the groups of older boys who gathered there to smoke the cigarettes they had stolen from their parents' purses or nightstands. Perhaps he was able to see the reverence I felt to the space and understood the fundamental level of importance the watermelon patch held for me. It was holy, a last refuge of magic and wonder during a time when I felt all doors closing around me. There are no particular events that stand out about the time I spent there, what stays with me is a specific feeling of slow inevitable transition. All across my life revelations were exploding around me like fireworks, lighting up glimpses of a world so much bigger than the simplistic models I had built in my head from pieces from childhood books and television shows, worlds of make believe, fairies and elves, that rewarded the good and punished the bad. But I was starting to see the strings moving the stories from the shadows, seeing the real world injustice and frustrations these stories were built to hide. The magical fairies grew up and got jobs, the paradise was lost. I felt stupid for believing in children's stories and angry at all those who had let me. My parents became the fallen gods of a make believe world. I had a curfew of nighttime which I would stretch as far as a could, waiting until the sky was partly dark and the first stars already visible before trudging begrudgingly back home. My mother would invariably be waiting in the kitchen with supper almost ready. She was a strong lady in all regards, and her strength supported her positive attitude amidst many difficulties and in the face of my newly darkened outlook. She and dad had split two years prior and we moved twice before she bought a house near the ocean and went back to school to study linguistics. Her optimism was what carried us through that phase of life, but sometimes it felt to me like her positivity only highlighted the confusion and anger that I was learning to carry. I loved my mother but that love often was buried beneath the confusion and jumble of emotions I would feel upon leaving the watermelon grove. She would always greet me in the same way, she would say hello, tell me dinner was almost ready and then ask a variation of the same question, “So, did you ever see a whale with a polkadot tail?,” “So, did you ever see a cat wearing a hat?,” “So, did you ever see a mango dancing the tango?.” I'm not sure when exactly this started or where it came from and I never asked. I never even asked her to stop, even though at times it was infuriating, an attempt to baby me in order to stop the avalanche of angst that was quickly starting to define puberty and adulthood. Usually I would head for my room without responding. Now, after many years, I better understand some of what she was saying to me. I regret it took so long but she must have known from her own life that transitions of understanding take time, that these concepts are difficult things to put into words and I was not in a place to listen. Now I can see that just as the world was bigger than my childhood view of heros and villains, so was it also bigger than my gloomy adolescent ideas of injustice and responsibility. The mind has room for both views and many more. She taught me that creativity and playfulness are not restricted to the young, they are always available, although maturity can make them harder to embrace. But everyday, like it was nothing, my mother would reach through space and time to bring back a silly little rhyme just to show me how easy it was.